If you are carrying out electrical installation work in your home or garden in England, you must comply with the rules in the Building Regulations. It is best to use an installer registered with a competent person scheme who will self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations.

If an installer is not registered, then certain riskier jobs will need to be inspected and approved by either a building control body or an electrician registered with a third-party certification scheme – who must be notified before work starts. You do not need to notify them of most repairs, replacements and maintenance work, or minor alterations such as extra power points or lighting points provided these are outside the bathroom.

Learn more on the Planning Portal.