Windows and DoorsWindows and Doorsclose

If you replace a window(s) in your home, or any other type of building, the Building Regulations:

- will normally apply if you are replacing the whole of the fixed frame and opening parts or creating new openings for windows or doors
- will not normally apply if the work amounts to no more than, for example, replacing broken glass, rotten sashes or rotten sections of the main frame members.

Replacement of external doors with 50 per cent glazing or more will require approval.

For replacement windows and glazed doors, if the contractor carrying out the work is registered with one of the relevant Competent Person Schemes, then you would not need to make an application.

Learn more on the Planning Portal.