Paving your front garden (front paving)Paving your front garden (front paving)close

You don’t need planning permission to build or replace a driveway of any size if:

  • you use permeable (or porous) surfacing, eg gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt
  • the rainwater flows to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

If you cover more than five square metres using traditional materials that don’t let water through, you need planning permission.

These rules apply to the area of land between the front walls of the house and the highway.

Learn more on the Planning Portal.

Getting your job done safely.

A planning consultant may help with the smooth running of your project. To find an accurate consultancy quote, explore Studio Charrette’s calculators.