Patios, driveways and hardstandingPatios, driveways and hardstandingclose

Please note: For guidance on work to your front garden (the area of land between the front walls of the house and the highway) see: Paving your Front Garden.

Elsewhere around your house there are no restrictions on the area of land which you can cover with hard surfaces at, or near, ground level. However, significant works of embanking or terracing to support a hard surface might need a planning application. If you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent for any significant works whether internal or external.

Learn more on the Planning Portal.

Getting your job done safely.

A planning consultant may help with the smooth running of your project. To find an accurate consultancy quote, explore Studio Charrette’s calculators.